Flawless skin is always in fashion.
Regrettably, most of us have enjoyed the sun too much and so have some degree of “solar dermal elastosis”, sun damage, which is manifest by pigmentary changes, fine wrinkles, dull pigmentation, loss of elasticity and larger pore size. Traditionally, make-up has been worn, however some dislike wearing foundation either because it interferes with their physical life-style or conspicuously magnifies flaws.
Solutions depend on the patient’s observations, requested time for improvement, practice’s experience but may include a combination of the following:
1. Skin care: Retinols (Vitamin A derivatives), anti-oxidants (Vitamin C), glycolic acids, hyaluronic acids, hydroquinones, Matrixyl and/or Lumixyl;
2. Aesthetician grade Chemical peels: glycolic, cosmelan, TCA;
3. Physician grade Chemical peels: TCA, Phenol etc;
4. IPL or Photo facial treatments assist in reducing the appearance of red and brown spots on the face;
5. Cutera XL & Genesis laser: treatments are more precise in specifying the patient’s skin type, nature, location of the lesion and matching it with the most appropriate settings. Most importantly, this laser can be utilized, safely and comfortably, off the face, where IPLs are not allowed.
Cutera’s Genesis also known as the “Red Carpet facial” uses 1064nm non-contact energy to stimulate collagen, decrease acne eruptions, shrink pore size, fine wrinkles and decrease the appearance of melasma or hormonally induced hyperpigmentation. Treatments are scheduled monthly and 3-5 sessions are recommended for gentle improvement of the face and neck skin.
Cutera’s XL relies on 532nm & 1064nm contact energy to remove:
- Lentigos = flat dark spots which occur on sun exposed areas of the face & extremities;
- Spider telangiectasias = spider veins typically seen along the cheek, nose and legs;
- Cherry angiomata = red vascular tumors frequently distributed on the trunk;
- Red scars following surgical procedures, such as mastopexy;
- Post-traumatic bruises, as long as they are treated 48 hours after wounding;
- Poikiloderma = dilated capillaries characteristically staining the neck & chest;
- Arterio-venous malformations
Treatments are generally done, without sedation or topical anesthesia. The treated areas may temporarily darken, crust and/or stripe, however there are no reports of hypertrophic scarring or hyper- or hypopigmentation. Fitzpatrick skin types I-IV have been successfully treated, however a second treatment may be scheduled, a month later. Cutera XL provides exquisite skin improvement with virtually no downtime, as cosmetics and sunscreen can be applied immediately after the treatment. As a stand-alone procedure or as part of a global facial rejuvenation plan, elimination of sun spots, spider veins and promotion of new collagen is a formidable anti-aging tool.