If aging has affected your skin’s texture or caused unwanted lines or stretch marks, microneedling can help. The treatment triggers your body’s healing response and boosts collagen production for smooth, supple skin. Newport Beach board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Lavinia Chong offers microneedling to refresh and rejuvenate your skin safely and quickly.
What Is Microneedling?
Microneedling, or collagen-induction therapy, is a controlled, nonsurgical procedure that gently penetrates your skin’s surface to stimulate your body’s ability to repair and refresh your skin. Treatment is safe and only takes about 45 minutes.
How Does Microneedling Work?
The handheld microneedling device contains a disposable cartridge of sterile microneedles that gently penetrate the skin to stimulate your own production of structural proteins, collagen and elastin. The treatment is comfortable and only causes minor skin irritation.
What Is the Process?
A personal consultation with Dr. Chong is the first step. You will be encouraged to be comprehensive in expressing all concerns and goals. After understanding your customary skin regimen and examining the areas of concern, she will customize a microneedling treatment for each Newport Beach patient based on skin type and treatment areas. She will ask about a history of cold sores, skin sensitivities, topical allergies and the use of certain cosmeceuticals which may need to be suspended to avoid adverse events, such as skin sensitivity.
- Choose a date when your social calendar can allow for any pinkness;
- Application of a topical anesthetic numbing cream for a comfortable experience;
- Washing off the topical anesthetic prior to the microneedling treatment;
- Expert microneedling session with Taylor, our cosmetic nurse specialist;
- Application of soothing post treatment balm;
- Follow-up call from Front Office;
- Next series of appointments will be scheduled 4-6 weeks later
What Are the Benefits of Microneedling?
Microneedling prompts your body’s healing response to renew your skin naturally. It is approved for use on the face, chest, stomach, and thighs and achieves these results:
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles
- Improves sagging skin
- Firms skin
- Minimizes large pores
- Decreases pockmarks
- Fades stretch marks
- Reduces scars
- Smooths rough or crepey skin
- Helps your skin absorb facial creams or serums that you use for your skincare routine
Am I a Good Candidate for Microneedling?
Candidates for microneedling are patients who want to improve skin texture, wrinkles, scars, or tone. Facts about microneedling that can affect whether you are a candidate include:
- It can increase skin sensitivity, so you must avoid direct sunlight for at least ten days after treatment. You may need to adjust your daily routine if it involves being outdoors in direct sunlight.
- Patients with a history of keloid scars, eczema, psoriasis, or other skin conditions, should avoid microneedling because the treatment can worsen the situation.
- During a consultation, Dr. Chong will review your health and skin care histories and recommend the most appropriate treatment based on your health history and goals.
Duration of Treatment and Results
Microneedling requires three to four, 45- to 60-minute treatments to achieve the desired effects. Your age and skin condition can affect how long results last, but can be enhanced up to six to 12 months with an at-home skincare routine, which we can recommend.. Regular touch-ups will help you maintain your smoother, firmer, younger-looking skin.
As a board-certified plastic surgeon in Newport Beach, Dr. Lavinia Chong’s extensive experience with microneedling will give you safe, predictable results that refresh your skin. She welcomes Newport Beach patients to schedule a consultation today.