If you are suffering from sagging breasts and have been considering a breast lift, you will need to know what you can expect from the recovery process. Planning for your recovery period can make all the difference in the world.
The Breast Lift Procedure
Women experience breast ptosis for many reasons, including pregnancy, breastfeeding, weight gain or weight loss, genetics, or the simple effects of aging. If you are tired of the direction your breasts are heading, a breast lift with Dr. Lavinia K. Chong can rejuvenate your overall appearance and drastically improve your silhouette.
A breast lift can reposition the breasts to a more natural position on the chest wall. During your consultation and pre-op appointments with Dr. Chong, she will develop a surgical plan and layout an incision pattern that will provide you with minimal scarring and meets your desired cosmetic goals. During your breast lift, you can expect Dr. Chong to:
- Preserve nipple-areolar complex blood and nerve supply
- Reduce excess breast skin and occasionally breast tissue
- Downsize overly large areolar complexes
- Reposition the nipple-areolar complexes to a position higher on the breast mound
- Reshape the breast mound
- Repair the incisions in a manner that will produce scars, which will be acceptable to the patient in the long term
It is important to understand that a breast lift will not add volume to your breasts. If you desire to have fuller breasts and breasts lifted to a more natural position, talk to Dr. Chong about combining your breast lift with a breast augmentation.
Recovering from a Breast Lift
After Dr. Chong has released you following your breast lift, you will need to remember some important things as you recover:
- Schedule and keep all of the recommended follow-up appointments with Dr. Chong.
- Your incisional discomfort will likely be mild.
- Many breast lift patients can usually discontinue pain medications within a week.
- You will need to plan to take a week off from work and other social activities to allow yourself time to rest.
- Do not participate in strenuous exercise until Dr. Chong clears you.
- You should avoid submerging your incisions in water until Dr. Chong has given you the okay to do so.
- Avoid smoking and the use of other tobacco products and alcohol as you recover, as both can complicate the recovery process.
- Follow Dr. Chong’s breast lift post-op instructions fully to ensure you have a safe and successful recovery.
Because Dr. Chong does not use external sutures, you will not have any stitches that need to be removed. Still, you should take care of your scars after your breast lift by following her instructions for care and using modalities such as Silagen to accelerate the remodeling of your scars and reduce their redness.
Visit Dr. Chong in Newport Beach to Learn More
Many of Dr. Chong’s patients choose her for her experience and skill. But being a woman herself gives her the ability to be intuitive to the needs of her patients as she walks with them through their treatment. Her goal is to ensure each of her patients is well-informed, comfortable with their decision, and have confidence in her ability to help them achieve their goals.
If you are ready to learn more about the breast lift procedure and find out if it is the right option for you, call her Newport Beach office today at (949) 644-1400 to schedule your initial consultation.