Gummy Bear implant, or silicone implant? This is a question pondered by many of our Orange County patients. The gummy bear implant is a cohesive silicone gel implant. It is the level of cohesiveness (its ability to hold its shape) which brought about the term “gummy” and is a term specifically applied to Allergan’s cohesive silicone gel breast implants.
Is Gummy Bear right for me?
When consulting with new patients, female plastic surgeon Dr. Lavinia Chong takes into account a variety of factors when looking to determine if a patient is a suitable candidate for cohesive “gummy bear” implants. For the patient who presents with little native breast volume, and nonptotic (droopy) skin envelope, the Gummy Bear implant may be the answer to achieving the desired aesthetic goal. During consultation, the surgical technique is reviewed, and appropriate profiles and fill volumes are used for “sizing” to simulate desired outcome.
Gummy Bear Implant Facts
We have had many patients over the years who have opted for Gummy Bear (highly cohesive) silicone gel implants for cosmetic purposes. These implants have the ability to produce natural, long lasting, beautiful results. And while generally regarded as “form stable” they maintain shape while also retaining softness.
All about the Gummies:
- The term “gummy bear” refers to the degree of linkage between the silicone gel molecules and means that the gel is highly cohesive;
- The degree of cohesivity or “gumminess” ranges from less gummy to more gummy to most gummy;
- Like other smooth saline and gel implants, the cohesive silicone gel breast implants also come in a variety of profiles (standard, moderate plus, high and tall), which are suitable for a range of body types;
- Many patients prefer the form stability of the intermediate and most gummy formulations to avoid palpable and visible ripples, as well as to mitigate against recurrent capsular contracture;
- Patients with increased safety considerations often prefer the gummy bear silicone gel breast implant as it is unlikely to display “gel bleed” or have catastrophic leakage in the event of implant failure;
- Rupture is practically nil because the gel will not travel outside of the external shell;
While there are some surgeons who continue to relegate the gummy bear gel implants to the realm of (breast cancer) reconstruction, we have found the gummies to be effective in achieving cosmetic goals as well. Whether consulting for primary breast augmentation, or for breast revision, gummies offer patients a variety of solutions for their aesthetic needs.
Learn More About Gummy Bear Implants From Dr. Chong In Newport Beach
Female plastic surgeon Dr. Lavinia Chong will be happy to discuss the use of gummy bear implants for your cosmetic needs. Contact our office in Newport Beach to schedule your breast implant consultation at (949) 644-1400.