Do you ever get overwhelmed by skincare? We completely understand … with so many products to choose from, it can be so very confusing! While there are some of us who love our skincare routines (cleanse, serum, eye, neck, lips, moisturize, sun, oh my), there are just as many of us who love to optimize and downsize (no more than three products please).
Dr. Lavinia Chong offers two skincare lines in-office (and only two). Here is why:•
RestorseaPRO was brought in as an alternative to retinols. Many of our patients lead very active lifestyles and love to be outdoors. RestorseaPRO provides these patients a product which helps to lighten and brighten by gently exfoliating the skin with everyday use. Aquabeautine is the key ingredient (and is not found in any other product line). It is an enzyme released during the early lifecycle of salmon, and it does a fabulous job of breaking down the dead, dry layers of skin revealing fresh new layers.
Alastin was originally brought into the practice for our patients receiving non-surgical facial treatments. Their anchor product, Alastin Skin Nectar, helps to prepare the skin for treatment, providing supportive regenerative properties which help to make way for the production of new collagen and increased elasticity (our skin’s ability snap back into place). Over time, Alastin has become an evolving skincare line as studies have shown the benefits of their proprietary Tri-Hex Technology to also be beneficial as a routine skincare product for all patients. The line’s evolution now includes targeted products designed for the specific needs of the eyes, face, neck, and body.
Why is it important to get rid of the dead dry skin, and why does it matter if our skin snaps back?
Discoloration and skin texture contribute to our overall visibly noticeable aging process. Dull tone and rough texture can accentuate areas of our face which are most susceptible to the signs of aging. Unfavorable tone and texture also has a nasty habit of contributing to the pronounced appearance of wrinkles.
Skin laxity is one of our patients’ biggest pet peeves. The fear of our neck turning into a Turkey Gobbler, and increased hollowness in our face, causes us to become more aware of sagging skin when we look in the mirror. To combat these signs of aging, many patients seek out surgical options such as a face/necklift and fat grafting, while some opt for non-surgical options such as lasers, microneedling, and injectable dermal fillers. The best outcomes from these procedures are more likely to be achieved when the skin is prepped for treatment (supporting the regenerative process). And the duration of these outcomes has a greater opportunity to be longer lasting.
Do you need a sunscreen?
Always! Always be sure to finish off your skincare with SPF* (sun protection factor). Whether you are leaving the house for the day “au naturale” (sans make-up) or getting ready to head out all dolled up, remember to apply a layer of sunscreen or tinted moisturizer with a SPF (sun damage contributes to the uneven tone and rough skin texture we are looking to avoid).
* Alastin’s HydraTint Sunscreen, and Elta MD lotion and Elta MD Aerosol sunscreen.
Let’s get down to the nitty gritty, how do you use these products?
1) Cleanse; 2) Apply serum; 3) Apply moisturize (whether an all-over face or specialty neck/eye/lip)
How do you know which product would work best for you?
• CLEANSERS: Both Alastin and RestorseaPRO make cleansers which are great for all skin types. If you are looking for an economical cleanser (also able to remove make-up while cleansing), Alastin Gentle Cleanser is the one for you. Looking for something a little more special? RestorseaPRO Foaming Cleanser, gently cleanses and mildly exfoliates leaving skin clean, refreshed, and slightly smoother with each wash.
• SERUMS: Here is where it is easy to become confused…we offer four serums, which target four specific individuals. We have a serum for all skin types and all ages (NeoStrata Tri-Therapy), and a serum specifically for aging skin (Root of Skin MD with purified growth factors). And then we have a serum/moisturizer combo for those looking to combat discoloration uneven skin tone and texture (RestorseaPRO 10x Intensive Treatment), and a combo/moisturizer serum to combat skin laxity (Alastin Restorative Skin Complex).
• SPECIALTY PRODUCTS: Looking for a little more oomph to target a specific zone? The skin around our eyes is different from our cheeks, and also different from our necks. Specifically treat the eye area with RestorseaPRO (for deeper crow’s feet and dark circles) or Alastin’s Restorative Eye Complex (for improved overall appearance and elasticity). Looking to pay a little extra attention to the neck (an area the most susceptible to giving away our age)? Try Alastin’s Restorative Neck Complex.
• MOISTURIZERS: Here we like to keep it super simple…Alastin’s Tri-Hex Preview includes moisturizer, cleanser, and more! To continue to reap the benefits of RestorseaPRO’s Aquabeautine (alternative to retinol) we suggest RestorseaPRO’s All Day Moisturizer (perfect for men with 3x the amount of enzymes) or gentle Rebalancing Lotion.
Shop online now! Still have questions? Feel free to stop by the office any time Monday thru Friday (9AM – 5PM) to see and feel the entire product line, or schedule your Facial Rejuvenation consultation with Dr. Chong by calling (949) 644-1400!